Table of Contents
- What Are Hormones?
- Female Hormone Balance and Its Role
- 3 Typical Warning Signs Of Hormone Imbalance
- 10 Superfoods To Balance Hormones In Females
- Things To Note
- Best Ways to Balance Your Hormones Naturally
- Final Thoughts
Hi, I’m Abigail. I love food, my children, and my husband – in that order.
There are just days when I feel off, especially at certain times during the month. I would wake up tired even when I haven’t even started the day. Or, I would have trouble sleeping even when I’m bone-tired.
My husband, James, is a foodie himself and it was actually him who suggested I find foods and natural supplements that can help me overcome these ‘girly illnesses’ as he calls it 🙂
So I did, and with my experiences, I am going to share good foods that can help our women balance and regulate hormone levels such as maca, avocado, salmon, nuts, cruciferous vegetables, spirulina, and valuable herbs.
Besides, there are many reasons why our daily diet often fails to meet our nutritional needs. In those cases, the addition of precious herbs derived from nature is necessary and safe.
These supplements help us fill nutritional gaps, balance estrogen and support our women overcome difficult problems: menopause symptoms, premenstrual syndrome, mood swings, acne, PCOS, weight loss, etc.
Top 10 Herb Supplements For Hormone Balance
|DIM 200mg Supplement For Balancing Estrogen|
Diindolylmethane (DIM) is one of the best supplements for women to regulate Estrogen hormone metabolism in the body.
|DIM Supplement 250mg Veggie Complex|
Each capsule of the product is packed by 250 mg of DIM with Broccoraphanin, Dong Quai, Vitamin D, and organic spinach, alfalfa, and kale for enhancing women's hormonal health.
|Vitex Chasteberry Supplement|
Vitex agnus-castus is a popular herbal supplement used to treat a variety of women's health problems like PMS, menstrual disorders, infertility, acne, menopause.
|Remifemin Estrogen-Free Menopause Relief|
The product is extracted from black cohosh - a good herb helps to reduce insomnia, hot flashes, mood swings, and irritability.
|Genius Estrogen Balance Supplement|
DIM Supplement plus Grape seed extract
|DrFormulas Menopause Supplement Complex|
The great complex product helps support hormone balance during menopause.
|ProEstro Estrogen Pills for Women|
It includes Black Cohosh, Shatavari, Chaste tree berry, Dong Quai, Ginger root, Epimedium.
|DIM Supplement 250mg + Pure Broccoli Extract|
Also a tremendous DIM product with a 4-month supply
|Hormone Balance Supplement For Women|
It is a good product for hormonal balance in women with many precious herbs.
|Vitex Chasteberry Fruit Extract 900mg|
It is also one of the best natural Vitex sources for women with hormonal disorders.
What Are Hormones?
These are chemicals in our bodies that act as messengers that control most body functions, like the feeling of hunger, emotions and mood, metabolism and even our reproduction system.
Hormones are created in the endocrine system of our bodies and travel through our bloodstream.
Female Hormone Balance and Its Role
- Estrogen is the primary hormone of women. Estrogen is what causes puberty, regulates our monthly menses, and effectively prepares our bodies for pregnancy.
- When we experience menopause, the changes in estrogen level in our bodies mark the start of our menopausal. That is when we suffer through various physical and psychological ailments and discomforts like easy fatigue, gain weight, mood swings and a lot more.
- Any change in estrogen level causes all that. It is most apparent during menopause, but also present during days before our monthly menstruation and pregnancy.
- In most cases, the pain or discomfort can be alleviated by pills prescribed by our doctors.
- However, I discovered there are natural ways to repair the balance of hormones by eating the right kinds of food. When doing it naturally, it is safer, healthier, and even cheaper compared to taking pills and medications.
Eating the right nutrients can balance our hormones and make life better for the people around us and us.
3 Typical Warning Signs Of Hormone Imbalance
About the skin
Hormone balance manifests on the skin with the presence of acne, eczema, allergies and other skin conditions.
- That is why during puberty, we get acne.
- During pregnancy, we tend to have more sensitive skins that easily bruise or discolor.
- During menopausal, we get dry skin which can cause itchiness and allergies.
About body weight
Hormones dictate our metabolism – how fast we burn calories. Imbalance in hormones causes abrupt changes in body weight.
For some, they gain weight quickly. For others, they unexplainably lose weight.
As we also grow older, we find it more difficult to lose weight – again, something that is caused by the shift in our hormones.
Ironically, during pregnancy, puberty and menopausal, we also have an unusual appetite and cravings.
Changes in our hormone levels affect our moods, and we most often have mood swings.
We cry watching TV commercials with babies or dogs in it. We quickly get irritated by long lines in the supermarket.
If it’s not enough, we look at the mirror and see our dry skin and body fat, and well, there goes the day. We go through it in a rather dark mood.
Focus on healthy menus with a combination of natural superfoods that underpins good health.
Besides, we also recommend adding scientifically proven natural herbs to support the treatment of hormonal imbalance in women:
When we can shift our diet to answer these needs, we can expect minor or fewer physical manifestations.
We would now be in better command of our bodies and enjoy the younger-looking skin, firmer bodies, and thus, helps us relieve stress and anxiety, be in a better mood.
10 Superfoods To Balance Hormones In Females
1. Maca root
- Rich in calcium, iron, fiber, potassium, and protein;
- Regulates the hypothalamus and pituitary glands;
- Origin: a tuber of the radish family, common in Peru and elsewhere in South America;
- Comes in powder form or capsules;
- How to consume: add to smoothies, cereal or oatmeal;
- Daily consumption: 2-3 tablespoons of Maca root powder in a day;
- Precaution: not to be taken while pregnant.
We highly recommend the best organic maca root powders below. All of them may boost the libido, treat menopause symptoms, and promote hormone levels.
- Rich in fiber, magnesium, vitamins E and B, Folic Acid, healthy fat, potassium;
- Aids the body in the absorption and use of nutrients;
- Good for skin enables the release of hormones to keep skin healthy-looking;
- Consume as a fruit by itself, or cut up and make into smoothies, or add to cereals and oatmeal;
- Daily consumption: half of an avocado.
3. Wild-Catch Salmon
- Rich in Vitamin D, omega-3 fatty acids;
- Contains anti-inflammatory properties to cure skin problems like eczema and acne;
- Also benefits the heart and brain;
- Consumption: 4-ounce serving once to twice a week; should apply sous vide technique to get the most nutritious salmon;
- May also be replaced by other cold-water fish varieties like sardines, tuna, mackerel, and trout.
When we need to enhance omega-3 fatty acids further, the use of fish oils is necessary. These Omega-3 fish oils come from 100% fresh, non-GMO, wild-caught fish; they are perfect for health.
4. Organic Vegetables (Broccoli, Spinach, Kale)
- These dark green vegetables are rich in anti-oxidants, Vitamins A, B6, C, and K;
- Also rich in minerals like calcium, iron, zinc, manganese, and copper;
- Help reduce bloating, painful cramps, water retention, and regulates mood swings;
- Improves the metabolism of estrogen, that keeps skin firm and younger-looking;
- Can be eaten directly, or mixed with salads or soups, or cut and made into smoothies. You can make super-green smoothies easily with best ninja blenders;
- Daily consumption: half a cup of dark green vegetables in a day;
- Other dark-green vegetables: asparagus, collard greens, cabbage, cilantro, cucumbers;
- The best kinds are organic, or those grown in farms that do not use synthetic fertilizers and pesticides to avoid consumption of these harmful chemicals.
Diindolylmethane (DIM) is a compound in cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, spinach, kale, cabbage.
DIM Supplements are favored by thousands of women around the world to overcome health problems caused by hormonal imbalance.
Recommended DIM Supplements for women:
- Rich in vitamin A, B, and D, also the anti-inflammatory omega 3;
- Also full of calcium, zinc, iron, and magnesium;
- Good for skin and hormones;
- Best consumed ground and mixed into dishes; liver pâté is so delicious!
- Also comes in the form of tablets;
- Consumption: 2-4 servings in a week.
6. Super-nuts (Walnuts and Almonds)
- Rich in proteins and anti-oxidants;
- Improves and balances the secretions of hormones throughout the body;
- Improves metabolism, keeps away acne and keeps skin glowing;
- Also regulates mood swings, feeling of depression and anxiety;
- Can be eaten as a snack in between meals, or added into salads.
7. Pasture-raised Egg Yolks
- As with organic vegetables, free-range chickens are healthier than other poultry;
- Eggs from these free-range chickens are recommended because these animals are not fed synthetic feeds, and not given booster vitamins. They get all their nutrition from grass and nature;
- Egg yolks (yellow part) are rich in Vitamins A, B2, D, and E, as well as calcium, iron, choline, and phosphorus;
- Contributes to maintaining a healthy reproductive system;
- Balances hormones and gives healthy skin;
- Daily consumption: 1 egg.
- Algae, a fresh-water plant colored blue-green commonly found in lakes and ponds;
- Cultured in Mexico and Hawaii;
- Rich in calcium, potassium and magnesium;
- Contains fatty acids;
- Balances hormone imbalance and prevents inflammation;
- Can be consumed by itself, but tastes like pond water;
- Comes in powder form that we can make super-nutritious protein shakes quickly with a blender food processor and take away;
- In smoothies, it is best mixed with flavorful fruits like bananas, mangoes or pineapples;
- The powder can be combined with water;
- Also comes in capsule or tablet forms;
- In health-food restaurants, the powder form is added to desserts like in raw chocolate brownies or mixed with pureed dates and nuts;
- Best consumed during morning or noon;
- Advice: the powder can change any drink into blue-green, almost black, so drink plain water after consumption to prevent discoloration of your mouth and teeth.
The best organic spirulina powders are recommended:
9. Super-fruits (Sweet Bell Peppers and Tomatoes)
- Sweet bell peppers are rich in anti-oxidants, while tomatoes contain flavonoid that produces healthy hormones;
- Both also include Vitamin C and calcium;
- Balances hormones in the body, aids in the production of healthy hormones;
- Add to any dish or salad or your sandwiches;
- Or can be made into soups (tomato soup) or chutneys;
- Raw bell peppers are most effective, but if you can’t hack it, try steaming it, cut into smaller pieces, toss with some salt and pepper;
- Daily consumption: as many as you can.
10. Coconut Oil
- It is the best kind of good fat, which produces healthy hormones;
- It creates, processes and eliminates hormones to create balance;
- Contains lauric acid which promotes healthy skin, kills bacteria and virus which can cause ailments and speeds up metabolism;
- Consumption tips: Can be mixed and blended with coffee or tea, taken as it is (1 spoonful), used for cooking, used for baking, mixed into smoothies;
- Daily consumption: 2-3 tablespoons.
The best organic coconut oil products for health and beauty:
Things To Note
If there are good foods to eat to counteract hormonal imbalance, there are also bad foods that cause hormonal imbalance.
We should avoid…
- Sugary foods like desserts, or in flavored beverages;
- Caffeine usually in coffee and tea, which can cause hot flashes;
- Alcoholic beverages likewise produce hot flashes;
- Spicy feeds. Try mild spices and flavorful herbs instead.
If your ‘girly illnesses’ start to cramp your lifestyle or affect you so much, you should visit your doctor.
You can also supplement it with a visit to a nutritionist who can draw up some healthy menu for you, incorporating these superfoods we just discussed.
Don’t over-indulge in one thing, but take these hormone balancing foods, mix and match it with your daily menu.
Your diet should always be a right balance of portions and ingredients. A professional nutritionist may help you achieve that.
There is also a very important thing that is food safety. Always ensure the highest quality for your Superfoods!
Because these foods contain very high nutritional content, they need to be properly preserved otherwise you are wasting the money and damaging your health.
The best way to preserve your foods is to use one of best foodsaver vacuum sealers.
Best Ways to Balance Your Hormones Naturally
While eating right is a great way to balance hormones, I discovered that diet is just one factor.
I also had to exert effort to exercise daily, sleep right and drink loads of water.
- I do at least an hour of exercise a day, mixing some dance (for cardio activity) and weights.
- Once a week I try to swim because I enjoy it and it really gives a whole body work-out.
- I also discovered night sleep is different from day sleep, so I try to sleep early at night, at least 6 hours in a day.
- And water practically cures anything. Hydration is essential. When not drinking water, I eat water-rich fruits like watermelons.
>> Read more some handy guides:
The healthy diet and lifestyle is not only something we do when we feel our ‘girly illnesses.’
Not only do these superfoods and healthy lifestyle promote good health, but also we are pro-actively preventing these ‘girly illnesses’ from recurring.
As the doctors still say, prevention is always better than cure!