Hi, I’m Abigail, a foodie and I especially love sous vide. My husband, James is a talented hunter; he always comes home with dozens of game meat and fish.
We are always looking for the best way to preserve the quality of our precious food.
We do not want to waste our food and money!
Table of Contents
- Why Do We Need Best FoodSaver Vacuum Sealers?
- HUGE Benefits Of FoodSaver Vacuum Sealers
- How We Picked And Tested
- Which Foodsaver Model Is The Best For Home Users?
- Helpful Tips To Use And Maintain FoodSaver Machine Correctly
Why Do We Need Best FoodSaver Vacuum Sealers?
Yes, because vacuum sealing is the best way to preserve our food for a long time, especially useful when we have a large amount of food.
Did you know?
- Microorganisms such as bacteria, molds that survive in the air are the primary cause of our food spoilage.
- The FoodSaver models allow us to suck out all the air and moisture inside the food bags, then seal them tightly.
- The multi-layered food bag completely isolates our food from the air. Therefore harmful microorganisms no longer environment to grow and develop.
- This helps to EXTEND the life of our food about five times more than ordinary preservation methods.
Otherwise, most likely:
- You are throwing dozens of spoiled foods in the trash daily.
- That means wasting thousands of dollars a year.
- And you are getting health hazards that come from damaged or poor quality food.
3 Best-rated FoodSaver models for home users:
This equipment gives us a lot of significant benefits, not just for food preservation.
HUGE Benefits Of FoodSaver Vacuum Sealers
Extend the freshness – Stop wasting food
- By creating airtight seals, the FoodSaver sealer helps us preserve the nutrition, taste, and freshness of food for a long time.
- It could be fresh food, cooked food, leftovers, dry or moist food, from meat to veggies…
- For example, with vacuum sealed meat, you can keep them in the freezer for up to 2 years without freezer burn.
- No more wasting food is also saving money. The fact is that we can save thousands of dollars per year with FoodSavers.
- Also, buying large quantities of food, especially on discount occasions, is a great way to save money. And the FoodSaver model helps us preserve them for future use.
Save time for busy people
- Buying in bulk when shopping is also a time-saving way.
- We usually make meals in batches on the weekends like favorite smoothies, salads, burgers, sous vide meat… then store them for the next week.
- FoodSaver units help us to cook in batches and plan to eat comfortably.
More compact, more space
- Using the FoodSaver machine to vacuum-seal food bags is a great way to optimize your refrigerator/freezer space.
- You can easily label, sort and stack vacuum sealed bags. As a result, you will have more storage space.
- The benefit is similar while we pack luggage to travel when a little space is also worth.
Quick Foodsavers comparion chart
How We Picked And Tested
We are like other shoppers. Before deciding to buy an item, we always look carefully.
The first questions we asked were:
- Why do we need a FoodSaver model?
- What do we need?
- How is the budget to spend?
When we identify our needs and budget, we choose the product.
Foodsaver is the most famous vacuum sealer brand. Most of Foodsaver’s models are of high quality.
The FoodSaver machines we have selected above are well-built, beautifully designed and durable. And they all meet the daily needs of home users.
If we use and maintain our equipment correctly, the lifespan of the FoodSaver models can be up to a decade.
2. High performance
This is the KEY to picking out the best model.
We need a vacuum sealer that has the power to suck out all the air in plastic bags or containers to the outside.
Otherwise, the quality and freshness of our food will not be preserved for long.
We also need a FoodSaver model that has excellent sealing capabilities. The heat-seals that it creates must be airtight to lock the freshness and flavor of the food inside the food bags or containers.
Besides, our seals must be reliable enough not to be broken in the freezer or leaked by high temperatures when cooking sous vide.
3. Many handy functions
Every family has a lot of food that needs to be preserved from dry to wet (even liquids), from solid to delicate, from meat to vegetables, from fresh to cooked…
A Top FoodSaver model should help us vacuum-seal all the foods we want. Therefore, having a hand-held sealer is essential!
4. Easy to use and clean
Any one of us wants a model that is just looking through to understand how to use it. Personally, I would get rid of the confusing ones right away.
And no one wants a model that’s easy to get dirty and hard to clean.
We highly appreciate the friendly models that possess removable liquid trays.
This is a significant factor!
- We are home users; we do not need luxury features/functions that we never use.
- We should also stay away from the models with huge price tags otherwise our wallet will be punctured.
- What we need is a good enough FoodSaver unit with the necessary functions for food preservation and daily cooking.
Standing in the middle of a product matrix, we’ve found a sweet spot – those FoodSaver models range in price from $100 to $200.
Apart from the above criteria, we are also interested in the size of the product. They need to be compact to fit our kitchen counter and storage space.
Which Foodsaver Model Is The Best For Home Users?
The 3 units we’ve recommended above can be your best model.
The FoodSaver models all possess the top features and satisfy the selection criteria we have analyzed above.
Through many tests, we were very pleased with the results they brought. For example:
- After half a year in the freezer, our vacuum-sealed meats were as fresh as the first day, their taste and nutrition are kept intact without freezer burns.
- Also, our dried coffee beans and herbs do not lose the smell after one year in vacuum-sealed bags.
Let’s compare them…
As you can see, they are quite similar. Each FoodSaver has its pros and cons.
When making the final decision is difficult and you are still wondering…
Which model is the most suitable here?
Which one should I get?
Please roll down our detailed FoodSaver reviews to find the bright spots.
Reviews on the Foodsaver models (2020 Update)
The first position is an automatic FoodSaver model that is very easy to operate for anyone:
Why we pick the FoodSaver?
Great handsfree feature
This is the most significant difference between the FoodSaver unit and the other two models in our best list.
- The FoodSaver V4440 model is equipped with sensors that automatically detect plastic bags and then it automatically vacuum-seal.
- This automatic feature is convenient; it helps us enjoy time and save effort.
- All you have to do is place the mouth of your bags into the sealing slot, and the machine will do the rest.
- As a result, you get food bags that are securely sealed, and there is no air inside.
Comes with a flexible handheld sealer
I love the handheld sealer, and I am using it every day.
This attachment is very worthwhile; it helps the FoodSaver unit to expand its capabilities.
Without the little sealer, we can only use vacuum-seal bags to preserve food.
But with this device, we can preserve most of our foods in many different ways by using appropriate accessories. For instance:
- Use fresh containers for keeping salads, snacks, leftovers, fresh fruits, and vegetables …
- Use round canisters for storing dry foods like cookies, crackers, seeds and nuts, coffee beans, cereal …
- Use mason jars for canning rich-liquid foods like sauces, pureed baby-foods, pickles, smoothies for a week …
- Use vacuum zipper bags to preserve soft and delicate foods quickly like deli meats, cheeses, and so on.
Also, we can use the handheld sealer to speed up the meat marinating process with a dedicated FoodSaver container.
When working with the marinade mode, the FoodSaver vacuum sealer creates the air suction-exhaust cycle which makes our favorite sauces seep deeply in each slice under vacuum pressure.
A reliable and user-friendly model
- The FoodSaver model has a power of about 127 watts. This power allows the machine to draw air out of any food bag/container you use to store food.
- This auto-FoodSaver also provides an excellent sealing capability. The heat-seals that it produces is high-quality, airtight.
- Hundreds of seals that the FoodSaver sealer has created have been tested by freezing, and sous vide cooking. The damage rate we receive is always meager.
- This vacuum sealer works almost perfectly with dry items.
For wet items, we need to learn how to vacuum-seal them properly and should use the MOIST mode when sealing to enhance the certainty of heat seals.
Because of this mode helps us to extend the sealing time more than the dry sealing.
Also, we much appreciate the user-friendly features/functions that the food saver provides, such as:
- Progress lights give the user the initiative to help us not have to guess.
- Bag holder and cutter allows you to customize the size of your food bags quickly.
- Cancel function provides better control when vacuum seal.
- Full tray warning light tells you when to clean it.
Drawbacks of the FoodSaver
- If we compare purely about arithmetic, it is more expensive than the other two models. However, this is very easy to understand: the V4440 is an automatic model with more advanced features than manual food savers.
- The FoodSaver V4440 takes up more space than the FM3920 and FM2435 models. Of course, being equipped with more electronics, more control boards for more advanced functions, the machine must be a larger size.
- The sealer also needs more bags to work. This is the reverse side of its automatic bag detection feature. With manual models, we have better control over the use of bags.
Finally, I wish the FoodSaver machine was equipped with a pulse button.
We are happy with the automatic food saver . So far it is the best FoodSaver model for our daily food preservation needs.
We highly recommend the FoodSaver V4440 2-in-1 for every home user!
- It is of good quality, beautifully designed, convenient and versatile.
- It also one of best vacuum sealers for sous vide to help you get perfect cooking results.
- The 5-year warranty of the machine is a great guarantee although that increases your initial cost.
- However, after a short period, you will recover your invested money, and you will continue to save much money in the future. GOOD ROI!
STOP wasting food and SAVE more money with the FoodSaver!
Next is a great another FoodSaver model.
We can say that it is the best manual model of FoodSaver we have ever used…
#2- FoodSaver FM3920 Vacuum Sealer [Compact]
Throughout our testing and usage process, we evaluate this FoodSaver model to be as good as the v4440 model above.
It offers the same vacuum sealing performance as the V4440 model. We even noticed that its vacuuming speed was slightly faster than the FoodSaver V4440.
This is also understandable because the FoodSaver FM3920 possesses a power of about 130 watts (slightly stronger than the V4440).
Let’s dive deeper…
FoodSaver FM3920 vs. V4440 Comparison Chart
Check the comparison chart above we can see that this is a balanced match. Both are the best 2-in-1 FoodSaver models on the market.
In this review, we will show you the differences between the two Foodsaver models:
Advantages of FoodSaver FM3920
- Its biggest advantage is the size. The FoodSaver FM3920 is the most compact and lightweight
- Designers have exchanged high-end features for compact size and reasonable price.
- Also, they also put bag cutter on the lid. That is an impressive creation.
Disadvantages of FoodSaver FM3920
- The FoodSaver FM3920 lacks some of the advanced features/functions of the FoodSaver V4440. That means the user-friendliness of the FM3920 is inferior to the V4440.
- We appreciate the hands-free feature of the v4440 automatic model. With FM3920 unit, we need to perform the task step by step manually.
- Open the latch to open the lid
- Place the food bag in its sealing slot
- Close the lid + lock the latch
- Press the buttons > let the machine run…
- When it’s done, we open the latch + lid again and then take out the vacuum-sealed bag.
I prefer automation 😉
- Also, because of lack of cancel function, you will not be able to cancel the vacuum-sealing process any time you want. For example, you want to stop before crushing your delicate foods, or you want to start over again.
- The lack of full tray warning is a risk to your model. It requires you to check the drip tray regularly.
The FoodSaver FM3920 is a TOP 2-in-1 model that comes with a reasonable price tag!
- Its vacuum-sealing ability meets most of food preservation requirements as well as sous vide cooking of our family.
- We can prolong the freshness of our seasonal fruits five times longer or keep our meats fresh for years without freezer burn.
- Its compact size is especially suitable for those with a cramped kitchen counter.
- Also, the FoodSaver unit has a sleek design and is easy to carry around.
We believe it is an excellent choice for any home user who wants to live healthier and more economical.
Our 3rd place is also a great FoodSaver vacuum sealer.
It can be said that it is the best alternative to the FoodSaver FM3920 above…
#3- FoodSaver FM2435 Vacuum Sealer [Economical]
Like the FM3920 model, this FoodSaver is manual control, so the way it works is the same as the FM3920.
These two FoodSaver models are quite similar in design and function.
Let’s check …
FoodSaver FM2435 vs. FM3920 Comparison Chart
We have tested many times to recognize the difference between these two top models. Keep reading…
Strengths of FM2435 model
- The most significant advantage of the FM2435 model, as well as the FoodSaver FM2000 series, is the ability to save more plastic bags.
- Its sealing strip and vacuum chamber are integrated to minimize the waste of the bag material for users.
- Besides, this model also possesses the impressive sealing ability. It can perform several dozen airtight seals continuously without the need for break time so that its sealing strip cools down.
- That is very meaningful when we need to vacuum-seal many items at once.
Drawbacks of FM2435 model
- It is easy to see that the FM2435 is wider than the FM3920 model because its cutter is placed under the lid, in the middle of the bag holder and the vacuum chamber. While the cutter of FM3920 model is pulled up on the lid to optimize its size.
- Also, the handheld sealer is not integrated with the machine but only included in the starter kit is a minus point for convenience. That makes FoodSaver FM2435 is a semi-2-in-1 model, not the real 2-in-1 model.
- I especially like the built-in handheld sealer because of its availability. No one wants to spend time assembling other parts into the machine.
- FoodSaver Fm2435 also does not have a rapid marinating mode like a real 2-in-1 model to help us speed up meat marinating process when needed.
The FoodSaver FM2435 is a durable, high-quality and no-frills model.
We found that designers focused on optimizing machine performance rather than its add-ons.
It can be said that this is a TOP PICK for both home users and outdoorsmen!
The final comparison of Best Foodsaver models
The needs and budget of each are not the same, so the final decision of each person will also be different.
In this review, we’ve selected the food saver based on our needs and budget plus purchase criteria as we mentioned at the top of the article.
In conclusion, we’ve picked the FoodSaver V4440 2-in-1 as the winner!
- It is the best performing model.
- It is the simplest-to-use model.
- It also has the most useful features/functions.
The FoodSaver machine is suitable for both newbies and experts for preserving food, and sous vide cooking.
SEAL to SAVE and ENJOY!
Helpful Tips To Use And Maintain FoodSaver Machine Correctly
It is very important to use and maintain our food saver correctly.
Otherwise, our machine will soon be damaged, and our food will also be no good, which can adversely affect our health.
The following tips will help you get high vacuum-sealing efficiency and keep your FoodSaver machine running well:
How to vacuum-seal your food correctly?
1. Keep away from liquids and crumbs
- Maintain a dry seal area, which should be approximately 2-3 inches away from the open end of the bag. This part should have no oil or moisture or crumbs, which can be sucked into the machine during the vacuum process.
- When sealing food with liquids or marinade, freeze them first in a separate container. When it’s a block of solid ice, then you can put in the bag for vacuum sealing.
- When sealing food with crumbs like cookies, or sealing in grains or oats, put a paper towel just before the dry area. The paper towel will act as barrier to prevent the small items to be sucked into the vacuum sealer.
Liquids, moisture, and small grains can cause potential damage to your vacuum sealer so take extra pains to keep them away from your equipment.
2. Use proper bags
- Ideally, use bags of the same brand as your vacuum sealer. However, if you can have bigger savings if you use other brands or generic ones, it is okay. But try it first before you buy in bulk. Some vacuum sealers can be really picky. It chooses the brand and material it wants to work with.
- For the external vacuum sealer machine, you always choose the plastic bag is embossed. A smooth bag cannot be used.
3. Reseal if needed
- When you feel like the seal was not tight enough, do not bother cutting up the bag or changing it. Just make a different seal closer to the edge of the bag.
- This is exactly why we suggest having 2-3 inches space from the top so there can be spare area to use when re-seal needs to be done.
4. Keep sharp objects away
- You think you have the perfect seal, but months after having your food in the freezer, you take it out and see freezer burn. Then you see that a sharp bone of your game meat has pierced through the bag.
- To protect your bag, remove all bones by using the best fillet knives for fish or the best boning knives for game meat. If it can’t be helped, put a paper towel around sharp edges.
5. Keep the right side up
- Most bag materials have two different sides. Which side should be up? The smooth side should be up. The rough side or the embossed side should be down.
- If you used a roll and one end of your bag has a curl, place the curl downward.
How to maintain FoodSaver vacuum sealer correctly?
1. Wipe down after every use
Don’t wait for the ants to start eating the crumbs left in your vacuum-sealer. Use a moist rag to wipe it down. Make sure there are no liquids, drips or crumbs. Not only will it attract pests, it can be a breeding ground of bacteria.
2. Thoroughly dry it
After wiping it with a moist rag, follow through with a dry rag. Allow your unit to air-dry before returning to the cabinets, or before using it again.
3. Clean separately parts that can be removed, like the drip tray
General rule, do not wash your vacuum sealer. However, there are parts that can be removed, like the drip tray. Remove this and clean separately. Wipe dry or air dry before putting it back.
4. Use soap and water
Unless it is specified, manually clean the removable parts with soap and water. However, most drip trays are already dishwasher-friendly, so check the box of your unit for instructions.
Don’t use chemicals when cleaning any part of your vacuum sealer. Remember, you use this on food. We don’t want chemicals on our food.
5. Address technical problems
At some point, after usage or maybe due to improper usage, your unit may just start having problems. Read the instructions that come with it for first aid solution.
If you are not able to fix it, don’t hesitate to call their customer service. They may either help you with the problem, or you can have them fix it, or if it is still under warranty, they can replace it.
Used and maintained properly, your vacuum sealer can serve you for years. Ours have, and we are very happy with it. Have fun!
(*) Last updated on Mar 22th, 2020.