Table of Contents
- Why Do We Need The Best Fillet Knife For Fish?
- How To Pick The Best Fillet Knife
- What Is The Best Fillet Knife For Fishermen In 2019?
- Fillet Knife Reviews [Updated 2019]
Fishing is a favorite and passion for many people like me. Fishing is also a job for many other professional fishermen.
It is not easy to catch fish, especially with big, fast and wise ones. We need useful tools to ensure having a more relaxing and exciting experience!
Why Do We Need The Best Fillet Knife For Fish?
A fillet knife is a knife specially designed to fillet fish:
- Its blade is very flexible, thin, and razor-sharp so that we can easily cut along the fish’s backbone and skin the flesh smoothly.
- The blade also often has a sharp tip to pierce through the fish body.
Fish have countless species of many different sizes. In general, fish filleting is a pretty dangerous task for all of us because we have to work in wet, slippery conditions with many mucus such as skin, scales, blood, and intestine of fish.
If you use a poor quality knife with a blunt blade…
- Within an unguarded moment, you can hurt yourself.
- It takes plenty of time to fillet the fish without having any nice fillets at the end.
- It is likely that you are wasting a lot of valuable protein from the fish that you have to be very hard to catch.
Therefore, it is necessary to use a specialized knife to fillet fish.
- First, a user-friendly fillet knife keeps us safe with a non-slip handle and comfortable to hold.
- Second, a top quality fillet knife is easy to control to enable us to get the maximum of fish meat. More harvest, more money!
- Third, a well-designed fillet knife helps us enhance the work efficiency, save time and effort on processing fish, which prevents us from being stressed, and tired unnecessarily.
Above are the most significant benefits that a great fillet knife gives users.
In all, it is an essential tool for fishermen to go fishing.
Based on the experience of processing thousands of fish, we highly recommend the 5 best fillet knives for pro fishermen as well as busy cooks to fillet fish effortlessly:
How To Pick The Best Fillet Knife
One knife can be the best choice for this person, but it is not sure to be the best for others.
A pro angler has different requirements compared to a young fisherman. An avid outdoorsman also has different demands with a cook at home.
This really matters as it helps you not deviate!
Below is our instructions on how to select the most suitable fillet knife for fish:
- How to choose the blade
- How to choose the handle
- Consider an electric fillet knife for heavy-duty work
- Pay attention to knife sheath
1- How to choose the blade
Blade length should match your sizes of fish, especially care about their surface and girth sizes.
If catching much fish of various sizes, you should take the average size of them to be the basis of choosing the most suitable blade.
4 inches, 6 inches, 7-7.5 inches, and 9 inches are the most popular sizes of a fillet knife. It will be perfect if each angler possesses a set of all those knives because you can use each of them for appropriate fish sizes with it.
- Short blade of 4 – 6 inches is suitable for small-sized fishes such as panfish, crappie, bluegill, etc.
- Medium blade of 7 – 7.5 inches is the best choice for fishes such as bass, trout, walleye, salmon, northern pike, mullet, etc. This blade is also quite good for dealing with other fishes.
- The long blade of 9 inches is a perfect choice for big-sized fishes, saltwater fishes with bones such as catfish, Atlantic salmon, redfish, striped bass, blue marlin, yellowfin tuna, tarpon, wahoo, etc.
A fillet knife must be very flexible to help us easily remove all fish bones, and get the maximum amount of fish meat.
There is no specific scale for flexibility. We should select knives produced by famous brands of the industry. Their products have been highly appreciated over the years.
The blade tip of a fillet knife is often made extraordinarily flexible and sharp, while the blade’s thickness and stiffness are gradually increased to its heel.
Blade of a fillet knife needs to:
- have high quality, keep edge well
- be rustproof
- be easy to sharpen
- be anti-fouling
- be easy to clean
To satisfy the above requirements, you should aim at fillet knives made of high carbon stainless steel.
Besides, we prefer fillet knives having blades coated with premium non-stick layers.
It can be said that this is the standard of a leading quality knife:
- Full-tang blade provides the strength and balance for our fillet knife.
- It also enhances the power transmission efficiency and overall control of the knife when we process the fish.
- Besides, we highly appreciate blade with bolster. This design improves the strength and balance of the fillet knife.
- Moreover, that is also a safety feature, which helps our fingers be away from the razor-sharp cutting edge.
2- How to choose the handle
Handle must be fit and comfortable
- Always choose knives with handles that are fit with your dominant hand.
- That ensures the comfort and flexibility when you fillet fish.
- An unfit handle will create many difficulties and discomfort for users.
A fillet knife with good non-slip handle is safe, reliable, and easy to use. This feature is necessary for fishers dealing with fish because their hands are always wet with slime.
We highly appreciate the knives with anti-slip design and safety for users such as:
- The handles are made of materials with a good grip like synthetic resin, rubber.
- The handles are rugged design or have grooves and ridges to enhance friction.
- The handles are covered with high-grade materials to improve grip.
- The handles have a finger guard to prevent our fingers from sliding into the cutting edge.
Also, the handles should be well finished to prevent stains, fishy smell, and easy cleaning.
3- Consider an electric fillet knife for heavy-duty work
When you face a mess of fish that you need to deal with, what do you think?
I guess you’re thinking how long it will take you to clean all of them.
In this case, an electric fillet knife is ideal for you:
- The electric fillet knife is made to speed up the fish filleting process and minimize the effort for fishers.
- It is especially suitable for avid fishermen who often have to deal with a large amount of fish in a variety of sizes.
- Its powerful electric motor gives the power and torque to cut fish fast and effectively.
- It uses reciprocating blades with various lengths that are easy to switch to match the sizes of the caught fish.
4- Pay attention to knife sheath
The knife sheath is also a factor to consider when choosing a fillet knife.
Because our fillet knife is usually as sharp as a razor, it is very easy to hurt ourselves and those around us. It is also easy to blunt.
Usually, cheap fillet knives do not have a good sheath so you should choose the leading cutlery brands in the world.
What Is The Best Fillet Knife For Fishermen In 2019?
When you have finished reading the selection guide above, I believe you have had ideas about the fillet knife you are looking for.
Whether you’re looking for the best fillet knife for saltwater fish or freshwater fish, big salmon or panfish… We can confirm that your knife is on this best list:
These knives are all made specifically for filleting fish. They are high quality and possess outstanding features that ordinary knives do not have.
They are a valuable investment for any fisherman or busy cook who wants to handle fish gently and effectively.
You can see that each knife has its own strengths and limitations. They are designed by manufacturers to meet the specific requirements of users.
Our reviews below will give you insight into each of the fillet knives above so that you can easily make the final decision.
Fillet Knife Reviews [Updated 2019]
(*) Last updated by James on Jan 09th, 2019.