(*) Last updated by James Pro on Nov 07th, 2018.
Table of Contents
- Why Do You Need The Best Electric Fillet Knife?
- What Is The Best Electric Fillet Knife In 2018?
- Electric Fillet Knife Reviews (2018 Update)
- Comparison Of Best Electric Knives For Filleting Fish
- Which Is The Best Cordless Electric Fillet Knife?
- Our Conclusion
Why Do You Need The Best Electric Fillet Knife?
If you are an avid fisherman, you wouldn’t mind spending hours fishing.
However, you wouldn’t want to spend a lot of time cleaning the fish. It takes too long; it is messy and even hazardous.
You need an efficient helpmate, and that is the best electric fillet knife specially made to clean fish.
A top electric fillet knife can do the job of the traditional knife but faster and better. It can cut through big bones and can work great with the big fishes like salmon and tuna.
The blades of the electric fillet knife are sharp and would need less maintenance to keep it that way.
Cleaning fish with an electric fillet knife takes less human effort, unlike the traditional knife that would require you to use force.
(*) The things you are looking for:
- You want a knife that can smoothly clean off the skin and cut through the meat.
- You want a durable blade made from a strong material like stainless steel that won’t bend or break when working with big, hard bones.
- You want speed options and blade length options so you can adjust depending on the size and kind of fish you are cleaning.
The electric knife will meet your needs. Trust me!
There are a few top electric fillet knife brands like Rapala, American Angler, and Mister Twister.
Choosing the best one can be difficult but we are going to guide you through it.
The HUGE Benefits of Electric Fillet Knife
An excellent electric fillet knife can do a better job than a traditional knife.
Here are the top reasons why:
- It requires less strength to use because the electric fillet knife draws its power from the blades triggered by an electric motor.
- When you are using a traditional knife, you use strength from your arms to chop down a big bone or cut through meaty flesh. With an electric knife, you just need the power to hold the grip, and its blade does the hard work.
- The blades last longer, and the blade sizes give options to the kind and size of fish.
- Electric knives will give you not just one blade, but it usually comes in a set with various sizes. The bigger the fish, the longer the blade. The smaller the fish, the shorter the blade.
- Significant savings on time as electric fillet knives get it done in half the time.
- Imagine cutting through a big chunk of fish meat. With an electric fillet knife, it is done in seconds with such minimal effort. With a traditional knife, it will take minutes and will have you huffing and puffing through the process.
- Working on a large quantity of fish will take lesser time and lesser effort. Because of the speed of the knife, its sharp and clean cuts, and also because of the power of the motor, you don’t have to exert effort to do the job physically, but only to hold the knife and steer it to the direction you want it to go.
- It cuts through cleanly, without jagged edges. Because of its sharp edges, the blade quickly and effortlessly cuts through.
- When you use a traditional knife, it is difficult to control your hand to cut through in one powerful downward motion. The tendency is to make diagonal actions and these results to jagged edges.
- The blade of the electric fillet knife is made of stainless steel which is durable and does not corrode easily. Don’t you want rust on your knives?
What Is The Best Electric Fillet Knife In 2018?
I didn’t know squat about electric knives. Not until I dated an avid fisherman. After an excellent overnight trip with his friends, he invited me for dinner to eat the bounty of his journey.
I’ve never seen so many beautiful and big fishes before. I came early to help with dinner preparations, and when he said that it was necessary to clean the whole fish before storing them, I thought we would never get dinner done.
I was surprised when it took a mere one hour to clean and fillet over 8 kilos of trout and salmon.
I was fascinated by the Rapala electric knife he was using. It was precise and smooth.
I have become a believer of the great knife since then. I knew having my own electric fillet knife would make the job easier and faster for me.
And I did, and it’s one of the best investments I made.
Get your own electric fillet knife, and it can do a multitude of good. Whether you fish, or not, this tool can do a lot for you.
I highly recommend top 3 best quality electric knives for filleting:
Quick Comparison Chart of Best Electric Fillet Knives.
|Rapala Heavy Duty|
|Mister Twister 120V|
|American Angler PRO|
Electric Fillet Knife Reviews (2018 Update)
Our detailed reviews are everything you need to know about each knife before purchase.
#1 – Rapala Heavy Duty Electric Fillet Knife [BEST]
For me, the best feature of this knife is its powerful motor that works twice as fast and three times as powerful.
You get one reciprocating blade when you purchase. It is made of corrosion-free stainless steel.
The blade is 7.5 inches long, ideal for small to medium-sized fish, and can be safely washed in the dishwasher. For more extended or shorter blades, it can be purchased separately.
This type is plugged into an electric socket and has an 8 ft cord.
Best reasons to get the Rapala Heavy Duty Electric Fillet Knife:
- When you hold it, your only task is to keep it with the least effort on your part.
- Its heavy-duty motor cuts through big bones like rib bones and backbones of large fishes like salmon, trout, and walleye.
- The Rapala can work through hours without overheating.
- It makes clean and smooth cuts, no jagged edges. Your fish meat would be so beautiful.
- And despite the power of its motor, it actually operates very quietly.
Areas to be improved:
- Carry-all for more accessible storage and transport of the knife.
The electric knife is mid-priced, but you get a powerful 110 volts motor – that is excellent value for your money.
If you are a big fishing enthusiast or married to one, this is the electric fillet fish knife for you.
Its powerful motor will not strain you when working with those big fishes, and its affordable price will not also strain your wallet.
The Rapala is my dream fillet knife!
Its best feature is its 120 volts power motor. Among the different brands, it is also the lightest in weight.
Because the Mister knife is lightweight, there is not much strain when you are using it.
Because of its strong motor, it would require less power and effort from the handler of the knife.
The KEY is just to hold it lightly and maneuver it smoothly through the bones and meat of the fish.
Best reasons to get Mister Twister 120V Electric Knife:
- The beauty of this knife is in the details like a convenient blade release and a safety lock so you won’t accidentally cut yourself.
- The blade is 7.5 inches long and can cut through any size or type of fish including the big-sized ones like yellow-fin tuna.
- The resulting cut would be straight, with no jagged edges. Your fish meat will remain beautiful.
- When the blades become dull from usage, you can’t sharpen it. But replacement blades are very affordable. The knife itself can last up to 20 years as one user claims.
- At the affordable price it sells for, cost-wise, this is the best knife for budget among the different brands.
Areas to be improved:
- The knife is more commonly used for the smaller fishes because of its size, it makes it easier to manipulate when trying to get small bones out.
If you are just recently discovering fishing and cleaning fish, you should experiment with this electric fillet knife.
If the fishing does not work out for you, you can always use the Mister knife for carving turkey, ham or bread.
The Mister Twister is my favorite knife.
American Angler runs on the slogan that their products are made for fishermen and designed by fishermen.
Their competitive advantage as they claim are their blades, which are made from top quality materials, which are sturdier and give better torque.
Best reasons to get American Angler PRO Electric Fillet Knife:
- Its design is ergonomic and because of the craftsmanship of its blades, cleaning the fish will cause less strain on the arms.
- Its handles are curved to provide the user a good firm grip. It is easy to hold and manipulate, and its twisting power (torque) is also good.
- The electric knife is designed with its own venting and cooling system so it does not overheat and burn your hands despite prolonged usage.
- The fillet knife runs on electricity, conveniently provided through an 8-foot power cord. It powers up to 110 volts.
Areas to be improved:
- Changing blades often gets stuck, and respond slow. This can hurt the users.
- The motor often gets heated up quickly, and slowed down after filleting only 15 – 20 fish.
Since this product is made by fishermen for fishermen, then serious fishing fanatics or the professionals will enjoy the wide array of blade choices, the ease and usability of the product and its durability.
If you are in the fish business, the fillet knife can be a good investment for you that will pay off big time.
Comparison Of Best Electric Knives For Filleting Fish
Read through my reviews, I believe you have known about the 3 best knives for filleting your fish that I recommend using:
In the comparison, I shall compare them based on the 6 following criteria to help you pick the best one for your needs:
- 1- Performance
- 2- Usability
- 3- Versatility
- 4- Cost
- 5- Durability
- 6- Portability
- The Twister has the most powerful one at 120v, but the Rapala heavy duty motor, even with a 110v, also packs a strong wallop.
- The Twister, though, because of its small weight and size, gives the best torque.
- As for American Angler, it has a built-in cooling device that prevents overheating so even if you use it for a long time.
- All blades are made from corrosion-free stainless steel, but American Angler has the best blade for me. The quality and craftsmanship of its blades are exceptional. The blades are flexible and accurate.
- However, I also appreciate the Rapala for the speed and sharpness of its blade. The Rapala blades are always extremely quality.
- The blade of Mister Twister, although also able to cut big bones, is not durable enough if you use it for this all the time. It is better suited for smaller fishes. One user even suggests using it only to remove skin.
- What I like best about Mister Twister, though, is the safety features that ensures you won’t accidentally turn on the knife and hurt yourself.
Ability to fillet fish:
- I use all the knives for cleaning and doing fillet on all kinds and sizes of fishes. Although I have noticed that some do better than others.
- Take the Rapala, which is great with big-sized fishes like salmon, trout and walleye. It can take out the rib bones and back bones with little effort on both the knife and the user.
- The American Angler is good, and can work on all kinds and sizes of fishes, from small to big. It also does not overheat easy so I can work on more volume of fishes.
- The Mister Twister is easy to manipulate because it is lightweight, however, it works great only for smaller-sized fishes. I don’t think its blade can withstand hard and tough bones of bigger fishes.
>> OUR PICK for PERFORMANCE is Rapala Electric Fillet Knife mainly for its strong motor that claims to work twice as fast and three times as powerful – a claim which I can attest to.
Aside from the motor, I am also a believer in the power of their blades. They work fast and cuts clean.
My Rapala does an excellent job of cleaning fish effortlessly. I do not have to work twice as hard or twice as long.
I hold it firmly and guide it to where I want it to cut. It’s an easy breezy.
For me, the Rapala is the most quality knife.
- I like to use my Rapala because it is easy to manipulate and works fast.
- I have to keep the knife plugged in, and well, frankly, the 8 feet cord is long enough for me.
- Changing Rapala’s blades can be a bit tough in the first few uses, but I use lube to loosen it.
- The American Angler also makes it easier with an 8-feet cord. The handle also offers good, firm grip, so it is easy to maneuver it around.
- A user claimed the trigger American knife easily broke, so be careful. I think the trigger is at a better location, out of the way of the thumb so it won’t be accidentally put on.
- Again because of its size and weight, the Mister Twister is comfortable and light to use having the best torque ability. I can easily twist it around and makes it easy to work on smaller-sized fishes.
- However, its cord is a bit short for me, but I use an extension cord, and voila, problem solved.
>> OUR PICK for USABILITY is Rapala Heavy Duty Knife.
It has a strong motor that does a great job, and because of its lightweight, it is easy to control.
I use it on big-sized fishes, and I don’t even break a sweat. With small fish, it is too easy.
The power is really in the motor and the sharpness of the blades. This makes an excellent combination in maximizing the usability of the knife.
The Rapala electric knife works well with most of your saltwater and freshwater fish.
- Rapala had my friend that claims he uses his knife to cut through the foam in their upholstery business.
- The Rapala knife has the powerful motor and the sharp blades that give smooth, clean cuts without jagged edges.
- Aside from fish and foam, Rapala electric knife can also be used on meat, ham, turkey and even bread.
- Since the blade of the American Angler is durable and sharp, it can also be used on anything without fear of breaking it or overheating the unit.
- The Mister Twister knife is used by both a furniture businessman and by one who owns a bakery.
- The Mister Twister is the most versatile knife because of its small size that can easily be maneuvered. It can beautifully carve ham and turkey on your dinner table.
>> OUR PICK for VERSATILITY is Mister Twister Electric Knife.
Because of its small size and lightweight, it can very easily be maneuvered to make clean cuts, carve, and cut angles and corners.
Despite its size, it packs a wallop because of its 120V motor.
It can be used in fishes, even on other kinds of meat and well, you can always use it on your foam.
I absolutely love the knife!
- The most expensive among the choices is the American Angler, but there is value for the top dollar you pay. You get a high-quality knife regarding durability.
- The Rapala is mid-priced, and for it, you are also getting ease, convenience, and speed in getting the job done fast. It is the best electric knife for performance.
- The most affordable brand is the Mister Twister. Understandably, too, since Mister Twister is lightweight, but because of its size, it has many more uses.
>> OUR PICK for COST is Mister Twister Electric Knife.
Understandably, it is the least priced but packed with value for its user.
When you talk about cost, it is not limited to the dollar sign, but most importantly, the quality and the extent of usage of the product.
I can attest that all these qualities are found in the Mister Twister, and in the end, you get more than you paid for.
It is the best electric knife for the money!
All the blades are made of non-corrosive stainless steel, but it also takes diligence to keep it clean and stored safely so it can last for longer time.
- The Rapala knife can work through 20 large fishes without overheating. What the Rapala lacks, though, is a proper container or bag for its knife. Without it, the knife is too exposed to elements, especially when you bring it out during fishing trips.
- The American Angler is known for its durable and top quality blades, and with a carry-all bag, it protects the knife. The material of the carry-all allows proper ventilation, so moister and rust will not build up on the blade.
- The Mister Twister also lacks a proper sheath for carrying. One my friend claims his family has had their Mister Twister for two decades.
- The blade of Mister Twister, though, can withstand usage only if it is not overly-used on big-sized fishes. It is better to limit your Mister Twister on smaller fishes. This will help your knife last longer.
>> OUR PICK for DURABILITY is American Angler PRO knife because of its durable blades.
The American blades are made from top quality stainless steel, and the unit comes with a bag to protect it and properly store it.
The American bag protects the unit from rust and moisture, and when a knife is properly cared for, it can last longer.
All the electric knives brands are small enough to be portable.
However, since it is electric, it requires being plugged into an electric source.
That limits portability.
Therefore, if you have a cordless electric knife, it does not to be plugged in.
You just have to re-charge the batteries before use. Once full, the batteries can last for days.
You can bring it with you anywhere.
>> OUR PICK for PORTABILITY is a cordless electric fillet knife.
All of our brands and models specified in the preceding paragraphs come with cords that need to be plugged into electric outlets.
For absolute portability, you need a cordless unit.
And the question is
Which Is The Best Cordless Electric Fillet Knife?
We highly recommend Rapala Lithium Ion Cordless Fillet Knife.
It is light enough to carry around, and with its built-in lithium batteries, you can use it anywhere, even in the middle of a lake.
This kind of batteries also charge fast and pack for more extended usage, which is very important, because I wouldn’t want to be looking for a place to charge in the middle of nowhere.
A friend used his Rapala Lithium Ion Cordless Fillet Knife every day for a whole week without needing to charge it. Very impressive!
Here are the benefits of the Rapala Lithium Ion Cordless Fillet Knife:
- This knife already includes one super sharp 7″ blade.
- It also comes with a good lithium ion battery which is durable with the extended performance of 80 continuous minutes of run time, so there is no need to connect to an electric outlet when you are outdoors.
- The battery is lithium, so it’s lightweight and yet durable, and also able to charge fast.
- Also includes a 110V wall charger so you can conveniently charge it when you are back in civilization.
- Easy cleaning possible without the inconvenience of working with a cord that you just might accidentally cut or get tangled in.
Some of its lesser advantages:
- When the battery runs out, it will not choose a time or place so you might be caught holding a fish you have not yet finished cleaning.
- Charging will take 2 hours to get the 80 minutes performance.
- It is ideal for use on small fishes as it would not consume so much power.
- If you are in the field, there is a handy way to preserve the fresh fish that you have been very hard to get, which is packing your fish before storing in your freezer with best vacuum sealers for fish;
- If you are at home, in your beloved kitchen, nothing can preserve your fish better than best foodsaver vacuum sealers.
These days, we like everything fast. We have fast food, instant noodles, and ATMs.
We don’t want to wait. We want to get the job done fast.
When you have pounds and pounds of beautiful fish waiting to be cleaned, time is a huge factor.
If you don’t get it done fast enough, your fresh fish deteriorates in freshness.
To get the cleaning done in lesser time with lesser effort, you need an electric fillet knife.
When you have this handy tool in your kitchen, cleaning and filleting fish will get done fast and you will not even have to strain yourself.
Full comparison of the best electric fillet knives
Which is the champion?
My personal choice is
It is from a company that thoroughly knows and understands quality with their product line of fishing tools like tackles, rods, and lures.
In my review, the electric knife for filleting fish was our pick for high performance and usability.
- It boasts of its 110 volts motor that has twice the speed and three times the power;
- It works efficiently smoothly and it is easy to use;
- Its blades are made from corrosion-free stainless steel, and are dishwasher-safe;
- It is engineered with air-flow design to prevent overheating so no fear of burning your hand.
Get your own Rapala Electric Fillet Knife and enjoy not only fishing but even the cleaning.
No more huffing and puffing!
If you need to remove bone for your game meat, use the best boning knife.