Table of Contents
- Why Do We Need The Best Cordless Fillet Knife?
- How To Pick The Best Cordless Fillet Knife For Fish
- What Is The Best Cordless Fillet Knife In 2019?
- Cordless Fillet Knife Reviews
I love to fish, and I have many friends and relatives who like to fish, too. But not many like the task of cleaning the fish.
Why Do We Need The Best Cordless Fillet Knife?
For fishermen like me, tools are essential. A fillet knife is not your ordinary knife. It is explicitly made to fillet fish, or to remove its bones.
The blade is thinner, with a sharp tip, to pierce through the flesh, more flexible to cut underbones and razor-sharp to make clean cuts.
A top fillet knife makes the job easy and enjoyable. A dull, heavy knife makes the job strenuous and exasperating, especially when we face a mess of fish.
Here are some best reasons why we need a specialized cordless fillet knife:
It is efficient and fast
- Manually, I can fillet a croaker in an hour, but with a cordless fillet knife, it got done in 20 minutes.
- When using a cordless fillet knife, the sharp blade does the hard work, and I just have to hold the knife to guide it where it needs to cut. The lesser effort, lesser time means I can fillet more fish.
It can get all the meat from the fish
- When using a top cordless fillet knife, its thin blade can get to the meat closest to the bone. The cuts are precise and effortless.
- We can easily change the blade length to best suit the size of the fish. That is to make sure the blade can reach through the insides, making it work effectively for the cleaner.
It can go anywhere, any time, even in the middle of nowhere
- Corded knives are only useful if used at home, station. Having a cordless knife makes it so easy and convenient to use it anywhere, even without electric power.
- Cordless fillet knives run on lithium batteries, with its long-lasting, consistent power. We can fillet even on the boat.
It is necessary to use when doing heavy duty work
- To clean one to five fishes manually is okay. But beyond that, I could feel my fingers grow numb, or it gets stiff from being too tired.
- Cordless fillet knives exert power to cut, and all I have to do is to hold it in place. Since it is cordless, there is no cord to get tangled or in the way of your task.
I strongly recommended the best cordless knife for filleting fish:
How To Pick The Best Cordless Fillet Knife For Fish
Before we get too excited and go out to buy a cordless knife for filleting fish, let us consider a few things we need to know before purchase. What are we looking for in an excellent cordless knife?
- We want a blade that is so sharp it can remove skin cleanly, and cut through the flesh without jagged edges.
- We want stainless steel that does not break, bend and corrode or rust.
- Electric fillet knives usually come in packages with a set of blades of different sizes.
- Blade sizes vary depending on the brand and usually ranges from 6 inches to 9 inches.
- The size of the fish determines the size of the blade to be used. If we mostly fish smaller perch, trout or other freshwater fishes, we can get a 6-in or 7-in knife.
- If you are like me who prefers larger freshwater and saltwater species, then get 9 inches. If you catch any size of fish, then get two sizes of blades.
- The key in effectively handling a cordless fillet knife is a good grip as you guide the blade through the body fish to fillet.
- The handle design should give a firm grip and the most comfortable holding.
- The environment when filleting a fish is wet and slippery and can be dangerous when handling a sharp knife, so a good grip will ensure the blade will be firmly handled and managed.
- A cordless fillet knife runs on power saved in its battery. The power of the knife is necessary because the more powerful it is, the lesser strength is required from the user. It usually ranges from 110V to 120V.
- Power also refers to longevity of use, which can run up to over an hour.
- Rechargeable spare batteries may be part of the package or can be bought separately.
- Let us also get a knife with speed options so we can accordingly adjust depending on how fleshy and how big the fish is.
What Is The Best Cordless Fillet Knife In 2019?
From when I started fishing, and now that I have a fish and meat business, there has been a lot of changes in technology.
Even the equipment and tools we use go through fast-paced development, so we are giving you the latest on what is the best cordless fillet knife for the year 2019.
Here are two best choices for avid fishermen:
Cordless Fillet Knife Reviews
Let’s break down and compare point by point.
1. Rapala Lithium Ion Cordless Fillet Knife (BEST)
- Material and size are very light to use, only 4.8 ounces, so using it for an hour will not tire you out.
- Durable material, does not break or bend, which can be dangerous.
- The handle is easy to manipulate and also has safety features for users.
- Very powerful, can easily cut through bones. Thin enough to get under the skin to remove the flesh.
- The Lithium-Ion battery delivers power up to the end, does not wane as the battery goes weak.
- It is quite challenging to replace blades so be careful.
- There are gaps in the housing, by the sides, where water, dirt or fish guts can be wedged in, and it is difficult to remove and clean.
- The handles are a bit large for smaller hands, like that of my wife. The corded knife has smaller handles, but for the cordless, its handles house the battery thus bigger.
The Rapala is a great fillet knife with the high-quality lithium-ion battery that can work through heavy-duty cleaning and filleting. Its material is durable and light – advanced handle design for comfort and safety. We can also change of blades quickly.
I am very particular with my fishing gear and equipment, but I allowed my wife to borrow this to carve the turkey, and she loved it, so I bought another for her, the twin of mine.
The usage of this cordless fillet knife is not limited to filleting fish, but it can also cut and slice other foods as well.
If you are an avid fisherman, the Rapala cordless knife is indispensable!
Next is an excellent combination of Rapala…
- Buying the Combo will save more than a retail purchase.
- It also gives us the complete package we need, especially the two blades and the two batteries, which are both very important.
- Two sizes of blades afford us the flexibility to adjust according to the size of all fish.
- Having a spare battery is necessary, especially for trips on boats without electric power.
- Rapala quality on the blades and knife assures the user of a durable product.
- The Rapala cordless knife has a powerful motor. What usually would take 3 minutes to clean can be done in under a minute.
- The long-lasting battery can work through 60 – 80 fishes when fully-charged.
- The carrying case makes it easy and safe to bring around.
- For a newbie fisherman, the cost may be too much as there are inclusions that we may not need.
- Also, beginners may not catch enough fishes to tire out one battery, so there is no need for a spare one.
- There is a difficulty when replacing blades and batteries. We need to fool the knife a bit!
- Some previous users claim it is not as powerful to use when working on large fishes.
The great benefit when buying a combo package is it includes all other equipment or materials complementary to the main product, which is the cordless fillet knife.
The combo of Rapala thinks ahead and provides what we may also need when out there fishing. Plus, we enjoy significant savings on the price when buying a package.
- If you have been fishing for a while now, and you want to take it a notch higher, then this Rapala Cordless Fillet Knife Combo is for you.
- If you have been fishing for just a day, now you can try going on a fishing trip for a week.
- If you have been fishing in a nearby lake, now you can try game fishing adventures that will take you in the middle of nowhere.
This combo gives you more than just convenience and portability; it adds extra mileage and usage.
Fishing can be a hobby to some, a severe sport for the like of us. It should be enjoyed, and not cause stress or fatigue.
Each stage of it should be enjoyed, and that includes the dirty task of cleaning and filleting the fish. We don’t need to suffer through it if we have the right tools.
A cordless fillet knife is a perfect companion and helper for a fisherman.
- It does all filleting tasks in half the time, with half the effort.
- It would give us more time to fish, and more time to interact with family and friends.
Besides a single knife, buying a COMBO package gives big bucks saved, plus we get all other tools we also need when fishing. A spare battery and another size of the blade are essential.
Whether or not you buy a single knife or the combo package depends on how much you love and enjoy fishing. If you are here for the long haul, looking forward to more fishing adventures, then get the combo of Rapala cordless fillet knife.