(*) Last updated on Sept 11th, 2018.
If you are a health buff or you want to eat healthily, protein shakes are the way to go.
I’m Abigail. My husband, James and I love food a lot. Naturally, over time and with such fascination for food, our waistlines grew bigger and bigger.
We were both instructed by our physicians to lose weight and to take on a healthier lifestyle. Proper food and exercise were the keys to a longer life.
Table of Contents
- Why Do You Need The Best Blender For Protein Shakes?
- Top 5 Considerations in Buying Blender for Protein Shake
- What Is The Best Blender To Make Protein Shakes in 2018?
- Protein Shake Blender Reviews
- Comparison Between The Top Picks
- Pro Tips For Using And Maintaining Your Blender
Why Do You Need The Best Blender For Protein Shakes?
We alternate days jogging and going to a nearby gym. At the start, we would have coffee and some bread or pastry for breakfast, but we felt heavy, but after an hour of sweating, already hungry.
Finally, we discovered we could just have a toast and water, and to buy protein shakes after jogging or gym.
Consuming protein is good for the health, and also for weight loss.
Protein shakes make you feel full, suppresses appetite, and you would not be eating so often nor a lot.
Great idea, but costly in the long run so now we make our own protein shakes for our protein needs.
As a result, both our bodies and our wallets are getting healthier.
After much research and experiment with different types of protein shakes, James and I both agree that we like 100% whey protein.
It can be a bit pricier but it is the best and most nutritious kind, and it tastes good, too.
We also like to add whatever tropical fruits to make our shakes exciting and for variety. 😀
At the start, we used a bottle shaker like this.
- But the protein powder and water did not mix so well.
- And we COULD NOT add any other solid ingredients for the protein shakes.
We finally invested in a top blender to make protein shakes smoothies, and it has been a breeze since then:
- Using a powerful blender breaks down and liquefies your fruits, seeds, and nuts into a smooth puree;
- The ice is also pulverized, so the drink is cool throughout. If you put in a bigger ice cube, it will add water to the mix, and you would lose the taste;
- With the right mix of protein powder and the added ingredients, the protein shake is customized to our taste. This gives us more than just protein, but also a lot of beneficial vitamins and minerals;
- With an efficient blender, preparing your protein shakes is fast and easy (usually less than a minute);
- A great blender is always available with travel cups and lids that you can take away immediately.
Here are three of my best finds:
They are all quality personal blenders to help you make great protein shakes and smoothies at home, gym or workplace.
Before investing in any equipment, always know what you want and what you need. It will significantly affect your decision as to how much to spend.
The first is…
What are your plans and goals?
Our goal is to have a healthy and charming body. Always strive to improve our lives.
Do we have the same purpose?
Yes, I think you are cherishing your plans or goals:
- You need to add more protein to get more energy for your daily living;
- You are building healthy eating habits for you or your family;
- You are a fitness lover, bodybuilder; you want a better, healthier body;
- You want to lose weight, burn belly fat to improve your physique;
- You are busy, do not have time in the morning; you need to make nutritious breakfasts quickly, and can take away immediately.
What do you need?
How do we start the eating healthy?
Below is the essential list:
- Protein powder: whey protein is the most popular. There are also casein, soy, rice proteins. And there are also other kinds of protein powder such as casein, soy, rice.
- Favorite ingredients: bananas, strawberries, blueberries, peanut butter, almond milk, and other superfoods. I like to add frozen fruits to my shake than fresh fruits.
- Blender, mixer or shaker: the best is BLENDER.
- Guides and plans for work out and eating: this work as a compass in your journey.
In the article, we will discuss handy appliance that helps you make the great protein shakes and smoothies, that is the Blender.
Quick comparison chart of best blenders for shakes
|Nutri Ninja Pro|
|Breville Boss To Go|
|Oster My Blend|
Top 5 Considerations in Buying Blender for Protein Shake
Offhand, when talking about protein shakes and blenders, we want smooth, refreshing protein shakes done at the quickest time possible, and without breaking the bank.
In this journey of search, the slogan “BLEND n GO” is the way we go.
Here are the KEY aspects or criteria that we should consider:
- Blending abilities
- Size & Convenience
- Ease of use
- Ease to clean
1. Blending abilities
Three things we are looking for are the power, the speed and the fineness of the results.
To find those three things we look at:
- Wattage measures power. The higher it is, the more powerful. It means it will make very fine mincemeat out of your ice, vegetables, and fruits, without having to chop it finely. Just cut it smaller to fit the cup, and the powerful motor will do the rest.
- The higher the wattage, the faster it gets the job done. In about a minute, a powerful machine will give you the smoothest protein shakes, even the hard seeds broken down into nine bits that can fit through the straw.
- If you work on ice, frozen fruits using a lower wattage or less powerful blender, the machine will take twice the effort and more time needed to deliver the results. At worst, it may overheat or break down before you get the desired smoothness.
- Aside from wattage or power, we also look at the design of the blades and cups as they affect the efficiency of the blender’s performance. The secret lies in the formation of the whirlpool.
2. Size & Convenience
- If you want to make protein shakes, you don’t need a full-sized blender; a personal size for single-serve will be okay, or a hand blender. We have also come to rely on our blender in making salsa, sauce, margarita, even soups.
- Another size consideration is the size of your kitchen or countertop. For students living in dormitories or small apartments, a personal-sized blender will fit nicely in your narrow space.
- Most personal blenders come with different sizes of cup, and the best part is, it comes with secure lids so you can quickly and conveniently bring it with you to the gym or to work. The criterion is Blend n Go.
- The cups have to be handy, just the right size for your bag should screw on tightly to avoid spills, and with an opening easy enough to drink.
- One more note about cups is that they should fit into the cup holders in your car or bike.
3. Ease of use
Personal size blenders are the most straightforward operation. After you screw in the cup, it will automatically start working.
Full-size blenders have two options: manual operation or the automatic operation. Automatic functions have pre-set features where your blender will remember its previous settings, and it also has different speed settings.
Come to think of it; when you make protein shakes, it does not require rocket science.
So pretty much, you don’t need these fancy pre-set features.
4. Ease to clean
Most blenders are dishwasher-friendly. Most instructions will also tell you to put soapy water in the cup and to run the blender a few minutes. This will remove small bits from under the blade.
For protein shakes, full-sized blenders with big pitches are not suitable. Our goal is to minimize time and effort to clean up.
We want a blender that is easy to clean and maintain. Would be great if stainless steel finishes it.
You get what you pay for!
Understandably, lesser-priced blenders may be made of less sturdy materials, like plastic.
Even the quality of plastic may vary, with some that easily break. The thicker the material, the more it will hold the temperature or coldness of your protein shakes.
Aside from cups, also look into the durability of the base itself. If it is made from stainless steel, then it is the sturdier kind.
Then check the blades which should be of metal to withstand the high-speed and to efficiently pulverize hard food items like ice, frozen fruits, and hard seeds.
What Is The Best Blender To Make Protein Shakes in 2018?
Based on the qualities stated above, you can already narrow down the model that best suits your needs and budget.
I have my favorite personal blenders that I will share with you. They are my choices in making protein shakes and fruit smoothies. These are:
Protein Shake Blender Reviews
Let’s start with the first position:
#1- Nutri Ninja Pro
Offhand, for me, the Nutri Ninja is the best single serve blender for protein shakes.
- Set includes a motor base, two cups of varied sizes (18oz. and 24oz.), two travel lids;
- Blade design is sturdy, made of stainless steel, able to break down the ice, frozen fruits, seeds, and nuts;
- It has a 900-watt powerful motor, enough to meet all daily needs;
- Its cups and blades are dishwasher-friendly for easy clean;
- Sleek and compact vertical design that does not take up much space;
- Easy to use with the pulse feature to break down tougher food items;
- Has the “Max fill” line on the cups to remind the users.
- Can be rather loud, but it’s okay since it lasts but a few seconds, a minute at most;
- There should be more water levels on the cups.
Why I love it:
James and I take turns making our protein shakes in the mornings. We like to surprise each other with unusual flavors and different ingredients mixed in.
And it has done well all our requests!
Our Nutri Ninja Pro can efficiently pulverize anything we put inside from ice cubes to carrots to berries, nuts, and peanut butter… in about a minute.
We always get smooth and beautiful mixtures. Just twist the travel cups and be ready to go.
Also, the Nutri Ninja is the perfect solution to supplement the fruits and vegetables for my children; they love to drink the smoothies.
I’ve used the best Ninja blender for two years with daily frequency.
I have successfully blended all kinds of protein shakes and smoothies that I wanted in high satisfaction without ever having any problems.
What is the key?
I always apply the right ratio of ingredients from solid to liquid and don’t overfill.
I highly recommend the Nutri Ninja Pro!
- The personal blender really is easy to use, easy to clean, and I think I get more value out of its price because of the free Nutri cups and lids;
- And it is a sturdy, useful blender at the mid-price range.
The Nutri Ninja is the best option for those who are serious about their smoothies and protein shakes.
- The double-walled cup is durable and beautiful, can keep cold for up to 4 hours;
- The sip & seal lid is very convenient to drink;
- Its size fits most cup holders on cars.
I love the Ninja cup, and I use it every day. Because it is made of stainless steel, it does not get scratched when blending ice and frozen fruits, and it always looks like new (not as blurry as plastic cups).
It also does not leave the smell of food like plastic cups and is very easy to clean.
The 24 oz. Stainless Steel Cup is the perfect addition to my Ninja. It is an excellent cup for my shakes on the go!
Next is a muscular guy 😯
The Breville unit is a high-end personal blender, priced rather expensively, but is heavy-duty and durable.
- Set includes two sizes of cups (18 oz. and 25 oz.), two travel lids with hand hoops;
- The robust 1000 watts motor and die-cast metal driveshaft that can smoothly pulverize whole fruits, vegetables, and ice without ever overloading;
- Its blade has a Kinetix design, which is a combination of serrated blades and curved, sweeping blades;
- The blade functions to both cut and pulls the ingredients down towards the edges so no stray foods will remain uncut at the top portion;
- The blade is more accessible to attach and/or remove which makes cleaning easy;
- The blender design is fine and glossy;
- Power cord and plug are designed to be firm, reliable and professional;
- Its cord uses wraparound storage for better protection of it;
- Has two settings – pulse and liquefy;
- Cups are thicker than the Nutri Ninja and able to maintain the coldness of the protein shakes and smoothies better;
- Have extensive drainage allows liquid to flow out the blender base quickly.
- Twisting in the lid with the blades can be a bit finicky and may take a few tries before it securely locks in;
- The way to use the pulse feature is not really easy;
- This is one noisy blender, not recommended if anyone is sleeping nearby;
- The Breville cups are bigger than Nutri Ninja cups and do not fit the cup holder in most cars;
- The blender also does not have water levels on the cups, has only MAX line.
Why I love it:
Kale is one of the most terrible vegetables to liquefy yet it carries so many vitamins that most times we really want to mix it in our protein shakes.
Also, chia seeds which require being ground or pre-soaked to get the best nutritional value.
In both cases, James and I were able to successfully pulverize the kale and the chia seeds using the Breville Boss To Go.
The Breville blender gets the highest score for performance.
It is my key to get the perfect shakes and smoothies.
It can give the most excellent mixtures with frozen berries, bananas and peanuts very quickly in a few dozen seconds.
I like it that the cups have smooth rims if I want to drink it straight away.
If I bring it along, I like it that the lids are designed nicely and functionally.
The flap stays in place when I tip it when drinking.
It is also to bring around because of the circle handle at the top. Incidentally, I sometimes use that, too, for easier twisting of the lid.
I like the Breville Boss To Go because it is top quality, durable blender, and it can liquefy any mixture that we want.
However, I think it is much investment for a personal blender.
That may be a good match to a homemaker who does more than just make smoothies and shakes.
Since the blender is a durable, high performing unit, it can be used for other purposes inside the house, like make soups, sauces and even baby food.
If the budget is not your problem, then I hugely recommend using the Breville blender.
The last position is a little boy 🙂
The Oster blender is best known for its compact size and low cost.
- The motor base has a modern design with a fancy handle, accompanied by one 20 oz. bottle and one travel lid;
- The blender base has a small footprint, so it saves much space;
- There are two modes of operation: manual and automatic (hands-free);
- The Oster blender also has pulse function for chopping ingredients;
- Available in many colors to choose from.
- The Oster blender’s performance is low, and it has many limitations;
- The 250-watt motor of the unit is weak, so it is not a blender for crushing ice and frozen fruits, even kale, basically anything that is too hard or tough;
- The sport bottle to go is designed too tall; it is somewhat difficult to drink off the last bits at the bottom since it does not come with a straw;
- In the same way that during blending, some bits get stuck at the very top, and I would need to remove the whole thing, shake it up for it to go down to where the blades are. Otherwise, those at the top will not be blended smoothly;
- The travel bottle is comfortable to hold and carry, but it is thin and of low quality. It also has no water levels;
- The mouth of the bottle is small, so it is difficult to pour the ingredients in;
- The design and height of the bottle are also inconvenient for cleaning;
- The sealing gasket is made of rubber, which is not as durable as silicone;
- It is also quite loose and easy to slip when turning the bottle.
Why I love it:
Set aside heavy tasks, the Oster blender expertly mixes all soft stuff and liquids.
We need to note that only a maximum of a half cup should be filled to ensure the blending effectiveness.
The fact that I did not have a problem making protein shakes/smoothies with only fresh fruits, milk and whey powder.
The Oster’s design is very compact, it looks good on a countertop and does not occupy much space, nor is heavy to lug around.
The Oster unit is my best sub blender to make my favorite protein shakes.
With its compact size, I can take it along to the gym, workplace, even travel.
Good travel blender!
The Oster blender has two things to emphasize: COMPACT + very AFFORDABLE.
On the opposite side, its performance and cup design are not good.
Does it blend my shakes and smoothies well?
It is not as smooth or fine as I want it to be, and not as fast either because of its small 250-watt motor.
If you want to make beautiful mixtures with the blender, you need to prepare the right things before you put them in, such as smashing ice cubes, defrosting fruits or adding liquids…
To be honest, if I had to do all that preparation work, I would be willing to pay more for a more powerful and efficient machine.
The mini blender may be a good match for a college student who lives in a dorm or small apartment, or those who use SIZE as the KEY factor when buying a blender for shakes.
In my mind, the Oster My Blend is the most compact blender – very friendly for the budget.
Comparison Between The Top Picks
We are now familiar with each brand and its features. I have also given you my two-cents worth of opinion on each.
However, as we are logical beings and we want facts more than opinions, we are going to compare each product on particular criteria:
- 1- Blending abilities
- 2- Ease of use
- 3- Convenience
- 4- Initial cost
- 5- Portability
1- Blending abilities
For motor power, the Breville Boss to Go has 1,000 watts, the Nutri Ninja Pro has 900 watts motor, while the Oster unit only has 250 watts.
So it is an even playing field, let us use ice and frozen fruits as the basis of each product’s blending abilities:
- The Breville blender can make excellent snow out of ice, and can efficiently pulverize frozen products. The Nutri Ninja Pro can also do this;
- However, because of the durable and massive base of the Breville, it can blend with the unit still standing despite the movement;
- With Nutri Ninja model, the frequent shaking during operation requires you to at least hold it down a bit for fear it will run off the countertop;
- The Oster blender cannot be used to crush ice or frozen products similar to those two muscular guys.
If you want the Oster to crush ice cubes, you need to:
- Cut your ingredients into tiny pieces before freezing them;
- Add enough water or liquid when you blend them.
For blending abilities on fresh fruits and raw vegetables,
- The two powerful motors can do it smoothly and efficiently without having to cut the fruits/veggies into smaller bits;
- However, for the Oster, there is need to help the unit by cutting the fresh and raw items into small bits;
- Otherwise, this boy would take a longer time to pulverize your ingredients, and it still would not be as fine as the output of the Breville and the Nutri Ninja.
>> Our pick for Blending abilities is the Breville blender!
2- Ease of use
The three brands practically are easy to use:
- You choose a cup size to use, put your ingredients in, twist in the lid with the blade;
- Flip the cup down with the blade attached to the base;
- Then you twist or press down to run.
Once you get the consistency and smoothness you prefer, remove the blade, replace it with the travel lid and enjoy!
However, among the different brands, with its various nuances, I prefer the Nutri Ninja blender because it works very simply.
All you need to do is just PRESS and HOLD your blending cup.
It also has the right features to give me the perfect protein shakes.
The Breville model has issues about the twisting; sometimes it gets done too tight it can’t change operation or done too loose it spills its contents.
The issue with the Oster blender is you would need to stop in between to shake the ingredients inside to go down to where the blade is, and not get stuck in the uppermost portion of the bottle.
Also, the design of the Oster bottle is poor, and it causes some difficulties while using, such as:
- The bottle mouth to fill the ingredients is too small;
- Lack of water levels.
>> Our pick for Ease of use is the Nutri Ninja Pro!
- If a task is too difficult or inconvenient, no matter how one benefits from it, he will choose not to do it instead;
- For instance, if I would have to do a lot of cutting into smaller sizes of the vegetables and fruits, I would say making my own protein shakes would be too much waste of time and effort;
- If I had to spend 30 minutes to clean a blender which I used for mere minutes, then I would not bother to use it again.
All brands are dishwasher-friendly, except the Oster because its bottle is skinny.
And with that tall bottle, you need to use a bottle brush to clean it thoroughly.
Also, you can hardly drink directly from its travel lid. With that poor design, you will need a straw to enjoy your shakes.
About Breville, the cups are of high quality and quite convenient.
However, they are bulkier than Ninja cups, so they do not fit into most of the cup holders on your vehicles.
The Ninja unit has more advantages than the others because it has the right size for individuals, it is convenient to use, carry and store.
>> Our pick for Convenience is the Nutri Ninja blender!
4- Initial cost
The Oster blender is the most affordable among the different brands.
But remember, you get for what you pay for, and the functions and power of this blender are limited:
- It only has a 250-watt motor, and you have to take the extra effort of cutting the fruits and vegetables to small bits so it can be finely blended;
- It also cannot cut or pulverize ice or any frozen fruits for your shakes and smoothies.
You get the power and the performance without having to pay the cost of a Breville, which is the most expensive among the three.
However, we should also look at the package that you get for your purchase.
While the cheapest, the Oster blender only comes with one thin bottle and travel lid.
The Breville model, the highest in purchase price gives you two sizes of high-quality cups.
The Nutri Ninja Pro, the most practically-priced gives you two sizes of Nutri cups and 75 healthy recipe book.
In the long run, these added accessories mean you get more value for your money.
About initial cost literally, of course, the winner is the little Oster!
Comparison chart of blender size and weight
Regarding size and weight, the Oster guy is most compact.
The Breville guy is bulkier than all, and it is also the heaviest because of its heavy-duty material, particularly its base.
So, regarding portability, the tiny Oster is the model chosen.
However, also in this aspect, the Oster unit is not comparable to a hand-held immersion blender.
Despite its small size, the Oster My Blend is a countertop blender; it is entirely different from a hand-held immersion blender.
- It has a 400-watt motor power;
- Multiple speed functions, with the turbo option;
- Package includes power cord, blender, stainless egg whisk;
- Also includes chopper and beaker attachments which can be used to make protein shakes;
- Easy to hold the handle;
- Easy to clean.
- Power and turbo buttons have to be pressed down continually to work, although for only about a minute;
- The blade guard is sharp; it is quite dangerous to use and may puncture your containers.
Why I love it:
I love its stainless steel S-shaped blade. The hand blender does a good job of cutting and blending.
I tried using the hand unit with our protein shakes, and it does perform well.
However, the cups it comes with are not big enough for our needs, so I need to make two batches.
Also, after the mixing process, I need to find containers for us to use since we take our protein shakes on the go.
It can cut down and pulverize fruits and vegetables, but not as beautiful and as quick as I want them to be.
For a baby food perhaps it is passable since it is good to have some bits of solid fruits in there.
For other tasks, like making scrambled eggs, I love to use this hand-held immersion blender. I also use it with soups, sauces and for baking.
In short, I like the hand blender while it’s working, I can adjust the speed at the top without having to stop.
It has 6-speed variations, but it also has half speeds in between so it gives you more options to work with.
In the spirit of protein shakes, the KOIOS immersion blender can do the job of cutting and liquefying soft fruits into my protein shakes.
However, I would still prefer a personal blender.
First, because a top blender like Nutri Ninja Pro or Breville Boss To Go both have the strong motor to literally pulverize and crush any fruits, seeds, nuts and even ice cubes and frozen items.
And it can do that in mere seconds so I can have my protein shakes fast, not requiring much time for me in the morning.
Second, the three choices Nutri Ninja Pro, Breville Boss to Go and Oster blender all come with cups and secure lids, and this, I should say is one of the most available benefits which the KOIOS hand blender does not have.
Yeah, we’re talking about BLEND n GO!
Let me go back to where we started.
We like protein shakes and smoothies because the drinks are delicious, nutritious, and we can customize its contents based on our own preferences.
The protein shake is an excellent drink to cool down after work out, which incidentally is the best time for your body to absorb nutrients.
The best choice is the Nutri Ninja Pro!
- It has the motor power to effectively cut and liquefy the fruits, seeds, nuts, oats, and ice we add to our protein shakes;
- It can do this in about a minute, so we don’t waste any time, especially when in a rush in the morning;
- Its single serve cups and travel lids are convenient and safe to carry around;
- The cost of the Nutri Ninja Pro is practical and reasonable. It is not as expensive as the Breville, yet can still perform the functions as well;
- It is dishwasher-friendly and easy to clean and maintain.
Pick the flavor that you enjoy!
Pro Tips For Using And Maintaining Your Blender
To maximize the life of your blender, you have to know how to use it properly.
Here are some pro tips:
- Some models do not have the overload protection so don’t over-extend the usage of your blender. When it is warm to touch, give it some time to rest;
- Make sure the lid with the blades is securely in place before you tip the cup. Otherwise, there would be such a messy spillage;
- Do not overfill your cup. Stay within the maximum line as labeled in your cup;
- For units with big wattage, you might have to hold down the cup while functioning to avoid being tipped over. Use a towel or hot pad to hold down;
- Pulse is the preferred function in many blending tasks;
- Check your manual if the blender may be used for hot items, like soups or carbonated liquids. Otherwise, refrain from such usage.
Keeping your equipment clean is very important not only to protect it but more importantly, for food safety.
If there is food involved, you have to make sure to practice these cleaning tips:
General maintaining tips:
- Wash the blender after every use. You can do the more thorough cleaning, like disassembling it, over the weekend or at least once a week;
- Do not immerse the base in water;
- Unplug the base before wiping it with a moist rag;
- Use cotton buds dipped in alcohol to clean around the buttons.
Two ways to clean a blender:
1- No disassembling:
- Fill blender half-way full with hot water;
- Add a drop of dishwasher liquid;
- To remove stains, add to your soapy water half a lemon that’s coarsely chopped;
- Vinegar may be used in place of lemon;
- Put the lid on the blades on;
- Return it to the base;
- Let it run for about 10 secs., holding it down with a towel;
- Pour out the soapy water;
- To rinse, pour in hot water halfway filled;
- Let it run for about 10 secs;
- Pour out the water;
- Remove the cup and tip it down to remove excess water;
- Remove the blades and put on top of a towel to air dry.
2- Requires disassembling:
- Unplug the blender before taking it apart;
- Remove the cup from the base;
- Remove the lid from the cup;
- Remove the gasket seal and the blade (be careful);
- Wash the container with warm soapy water. Don’t use anything abrasive, just a sponge;
- You can opt to put the container in the dishwasher, top rack;
- Rinse the jar and tip it down to remove excess water;
- Hand wash the smaller pieces in soapy water, rinse and put on top of a dish towel to dry;
- Wipe the motor base with a damp or moist cloth. Do not put in a dishwasher. Do not get it wet.
Remember, we take care of our blender so it will serve as well and long.
Have a healthy lifestyle. Eat well, and exercise. Invest in blenders and foods that will help you take care of your body!